Help on how to compile and flash for a RE01 MCU

Hi all,

I'm very interested in using the new RE01 256kB family in our upcoming IoT project, but I have huge difficulties in finding information about sw development for the MCU.

I have some questions then, please see them from a noob perspective, baring in mind that I only have experience with old 8-bit MCU architectures and a bit of programming with the Espressif SDK.

1. How can I compile and build to create a binary for RE01? I understand that one can use the e2 studio for an IDE. And from here I can see that only the IAR or the GNU compiler can be used. The question is: a) do I need a license for the e2 studio? and b) How can I install the RE SDK to use with the e2 studio?

2. Assuming that I do have the binary ready, how can I flash the MCU with it? Do I understand correctly that there are generally two options, one through e2 or e2 lite (or Segger J-Link) and one through USB or serial? What does actually the "Serial" column here means? Can I do this without an emulator/debugger? Do I need a bootloader for this to work? If yes, where do I find it and how do I program it? Also, what does it mean that the e2 emulator supports programming over SCI?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! :-)

Nikos